Thursday, November 4, 2010

the journey of sewing and life

I've been asked several times about my goals for my time here, what do I want as the end result?  This question had me stumped.  I have one personal goal, which is to go home speaking Spanish really well, but as far as ministry related goals or things I want for my future, I got nothin'.  So when I got home from class today I was thinking about it, while listening to music and sewing.  I started learning sewing because Hermana Lety teaches the sewing class at the church on Thursday mornings and I go in order to teach a little lesson to the women about parenting or relationships.  I decided it would be fun to learn to sew, so I'm trying to sew a quilt, by hand, square by square.  It is taking me forever.  I am soooo slow.  And it's frustrating.  But the finished product, some day, will be really good.  And in the meantime, it's all about the journey.  Most times when I'm sewing, I'm really enjoying it.  It doesn't matter what the end product looks like (I mean, I'll be disappointed if it looks crappy, but work with me here), what matters is the journey.  It's good to have a goal, this quilt that I'm trying to make, but if I didn't take care with every stitch, every square, every part of the journey and only focused on the end goal, the end result wouldn't turn out quite as well.  And to really take advantage of the analogy to the best of my ability, because I would never want to go just halfway...every knot, every time I had to take it out and start over, just made the quilt stronger, better.  What I thought was a mess, a complete piece of crap because the lines weren't straight (I cán't cut a straight line to save my life, nor measure 5.5x5.5), could be corrected, renewed, fixed, with help.  Throughout the whole process so far, I've had help. I don't have to do it alone.  Í don't have to finish my quilt alone, I'm not on this Guatemala journey alone, we're not on this life journey alone.  So even though I may not have any concrete goals for my time here beyond "I want to make a difference in people's lives,"  I have numerous things I can look back on and say I've accomplished along the first 1/3 of this journey.  I've built beautiful relationships, had incredible adventures, am learning to rely on God for all that I need, the list goes on....  

2 comments:

  1. Amy,
    Your Grandma Door would be so proud of you!!! She was a perfectionist went it came to sewing and if I didn't do something right, I had to take it apart also.(Which was often!!!) I loved your comparison of sewing to life.
    Very thought provocing!!! Thanks for sharing your insights with us!!! I love reading your blog.It gives us a great look at would you are doing.
    Love you lots and can't wait to see the quilt when you get home!!!
    Love and hugs,
    Auntie Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Amy...the journey is so important...every knot, every stitch, every moment, every interaction, every person. I'm confident God is making something beautiful from your time in Guatemala!!!

    Pastor Tony

    ReplyDelete