Thursday, October 7, 2010

It's been a busy week!  Sunday was national children's day here in Guatemala, so there was a big festival at church, complete with clowns!  Many many children, combined with a large crowd and scary clowns made for a very anxious Amy, but the kids had a great time and it was really good for engaging the community.  Then I went to play soccer with a bunch of the teenagers from church. It was so much fun to run around and push people (gently and in love).  :) 

I can't remember what I did on Monday!  If I remember I will let you know!  OH------Vicky had her baby!!!  She went in for a checkup and it was discovered that the umbilical cord was wrapped around the baby's neck, so she had an emergency C-section.  She had a beautiful, healthy baby girl, named Holy Elizabeth.  So I went with Shirley, Norma, Pablito and Abuelita to visit her on Monday night.  Vicky and the baby came home from the hospital yesterday and are staying with Junior and Shirley. 

A few weeks ago a huge container of literature--Sunday school materials, Bible studies, books, Bibles, etc., came here, arranged by TJ, an American who works at the Christian school in San Cristobal and is also involved in a children's home near here.  He is storing the books at the Casa de Refugio and is distributing them to various ministries throughout the area.  Because the books are right next door, our community has benefiitted, and on Tuesday, we got to invite pastors from all over Linda Vista and Villa Nueva to come here and receive materials.  There were representatives from 12 different churches, and it was so awesome to see their faces when they saw all of the boxes and bundles of brand new books they got, like Beth Moore studies.  A couple of pastors came to talk to Pastor Jorge afterwards, one who had always had hard feelings toward him, and asked for forgiveness about this because he was humbled by the gift he had been given.  Another said he came reluctantly, not believing that the books would be free, or if they were they would be old and broken and used, and asked for forgiveness for his attitude because he received more than he had ever thought.  It was really awesome. 

On Wednesday I got to ride along as we were the receivers of amazing gifts from a mission group from Alabama.  They gave 3 schools and our church water filters so that the children and those in our community can have clean drinking water.  What a thing we take for granted!

I've had a couple rough days this week, not feeling well, missing home, being a little cranky.  I was reading in the book of Psalms and came to Psalms 13, where it says "How long O Lord....How long O Lord must I wrestle with my thoughts?"  I liked the honesty of this question because it seems like I'm always wrestling with my thoughts, letting them run away from me, getting all anxious and stuff.  But then the Psalm goes on to say "But I trust in your unfailing love, my heart rejoices in your salvation.  I will sing to the Lord for He has been good to me."  And that's what it comes down to.  Trusting in His unfailing love, and singing to Him because He's been good to me, no matter what thoughts I may be wrestling with.

No comments:

Post a Comment