Monday, September 13, 2010

Many blessings

On Saturday I came to live with the Cerritos family, which consists of Jorge Sr (referred to hereafter as Senior) and his wife, his mother in law, whom everyone calls Abuelita, his adult children Norma and Jorge Jr, his wife Shirly, their son Pablito, and three young women that Senior and his wife took in, ranging in age from 12 to approximately 30 (rough guess).  We also have two young guys, Frank and Juan, who come eat their meals here, but live in a separate apartment.  Jorge Jr and his wife and son live in a separate house, but right now I'm staying with Senior and everyone else I mentioned, sharing a room with the other "adopted children."  I'm not sure yet what the plan is for the future, if I'll be going to live with Jorge Jr like I'd previously thought.  Either way, it is such a blessing to be with this amazing group of people.  Senior is the pastor of the church, Ciudad de Refugio, and is passionate about showing God's love to the community in which they live, and he and his family want everyone to know the hope they can have in Him.  He is so cute and I am so blessed to be a part of this family.  The community working together that is lived out here in this household, with such a broad mix of people welcomed in and gifts being used, is pretty sweet.
Right after I arrived to the house on Saturday we went straight to a Quinceañera (15th) birthday party that Senior had been invited to preach at.  It was fun to be a part of.  It was very fancy and kind of like a church service, with singing worship songs and preaching, and then presenting gifts to the birthday girl and a big entrance and exit.  Very interesting. 
I had previously mentioned being afraid of Pablito, the 2 year old.  While he appears to be like what most would expect from a 2 year old, with the crying and such, he is also extremely cute and has beautiful brown eyes.  I was going to take a picture today but I couldn't pin him down long enough to do it.  He will come close enough to me to say Hola, but not close enough that I can catch him.  It's probably better that way!
Some prayer requests:  Everyone in the house is either coming down with or recovering from a cold.  Please pray that they will recover quickly and that I will not catch this bug!  Also, please pray for language acquisition.  It has been frustrating that I cannot understand what people are saying.  I had expected to be able to catch on quicker, even though it's only been 4 days! It will come.  And finally, though the past few days have been really good, I hit a bit of a roadblock today, longing for familiar foods and places and people (mostly foods though!). 
Thank you all for praying and thinking of me here.  I am blessed.  I should get to bed.  They have prayer meetings every morning at 5 am at church.  I was told I don't have to go every morning, but I wonder if that means if I can not go every morning?  :) 
Also, could anyone walk me through how to post pictures on here?  I have been taking some! 

3 comments:

  1. Good Morning!
    Glad to hear that you like your living arrangements so far. Here I thought you would be living in a quiet home just waiting for the cries of a newborn, and instead you have moved into a college campus of sorts! Way to be flexible! About the quincinera...Ross was actually part of the court for a girl in his class, he felt a little uncomfortable about it, but it really was a fun ceremony and almost like a wedding! Kind of a cool way for the Dad to honor his daughter! Anyway, I hope you have a productive day and keep eating those beans...the more you eat, the better you feel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy -

    Please contact me at deloyj@comcast.net and I'll do whatever I can to help you get pictures posted! Take care!

    Deloy

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice to hear that you are so flexible about where you live. I'm sure you will do fine.Keep trying the beans, maybe you'll even start to like them after a while!! Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete