Friday, September 24, 2010

Baking a cake, and a late night brush with death

The past couple days have found me to be quite sick.  Tuesday night I had a really high fever and a very sore throat.  On Wednesday, the fever was gone but the sore throat remained.  It made for a miserable day and a half or so, but by Thursday I was feeling much better!  Still some remnants of a cold, but certainly manageable. As far as ministry, this week has been a little slow since Pastor Jorge is out of town, which is good given that I'm not feeling 100%.  Still working on teaching my kiddos next door...eventually I'll have to come up with a better plan than having them copy Bible verses and write out multiplication tables!  :)  Something to pray about. 

Yesterday Shirley, Jorge Junior's wife, felt like baking a cake and asked if I wanted to help her.  Definitely!  So we baked a cake, from scratch of course, with bananas in it.  It was delicious! 

Last night, since Pastor Jorge is gone, Jorge Junior got a phone call from a church member that someone who attends the Saturday morning breakfasts was very sick and needed to be taken to the hospital. Jorge Junior was working and not able to take him, so Juan and Frank said they would take him, and I tagged along.  If only I had known what I was getting into!  :)  We picked up 3 church members on our way to this man's house.  It is raining, and has been all day so the roads are very muddy.  We arrive at his house and walk inside, where he is lying in bed, writhing in pain, covered in blankets, shivering, but sweating at the same time.  Frank says that this man is an alcoholic, and had been drinking RUBBING ALCOHOL all day yesterday, and is now sick and suffering from the effects of this.  We prayed over him, and prayed for his family, but ultimately decided that it would be safest if he were taken to the hospital.  Driving to the hospital was OUT OF CONTROL.  Juan drove in a vehicle he is not familiar with, the defrost wasn't working, it's raining, and we're on a Guatemalan highway filled with semi trucks with a terribly sick man in the front seat, hunched over looking like he's about to throw up.  Talk about praying your heart out.  But, we made it safely, and unfortunately, the only treatment our friend was given was an IV and some pain meds, no tests for internal bleeding or internal damage or anything, and we arrived home very late, with a ride home that was a repeat of the ride there.  Abuelita, bless her heart, told me this morning that she couldn't sleep last night until she heard me come in last  night!  So cute. 

And, just because he's so stinkin' cute, I'm adding a picture of Pablito. 


1 comment:

  1. Do I hear a warming of the heart towards children??? :) I'm still praying!

    ReplyDelete