Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Life has taken on a new rhythm with my move and ministry change.  I started at the women's shelter last week, and also started attending Spanish classes in Antigua everyday, for 4 hours every morning.  And then I work at the shelter 4 afternoons a week.  It's very busy, but the routine is nice.  As with any new thing, figuring out the ins and outs and what my role is has been challenging, but a good kind of challenging.  I'm also learning to make jewelry with the women, which is so fun.  On Monday I led group for the women and we talked about self esteem.  It went so well, and I was so encouraged by their receptiveness to it.  I come home everyday really tired...I haven't worked such a full day, including school and everything, without being able to squeeze a nap in, in practically a year!  :)  I guess it's good for me. 

This past weekend I went to Mazatenango, about 3 hours away, with one of the staff at the shelter to visit her family.  It was so much fun.  I got to ride through town on a moped, play Bancopoly (the Guatemalan version of Monopoly) with a bunch of little kids, and we went to Guatemala's Disney World.  My friend's nephew has a pet squirrel!  Apparently squirrels are very rare here, and they found one and took it into captivity!  They also had pet ducks!  I laughed my head off when I saw the squirrel.  And the town we were in does not see many gringas (white people), so I was quite a novelty and got a lot of attention. 

And counting my blessings....but I can't remember what number I left off at!

-new friends
-pet squirrels
-grace
-the ability to learn new things
-a community of support
-laughter
-Bancopoly

2 comments:

  1. It's so exciting to hear about your new placement. Sounds like God is going to teach, use and grow you a lot there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience with us Amy. It sounds like a great transition! Funny about the squirrel. I've got plenty of them that I'd be happy for them to take!
    Blessings!
    Tony

    ReplyDelete